APPAREL PRODUCTION SPECIALIST
First of all, this boring job title doesn’t begin to describe the personality of Youer BUT it helps this position appear in job searches. You can choose your own fun title when you start!
Youer is a Missoula-Montana based clothing company that makes colorful and fun things for original individuals with a flexible and active lifestyle. Our brand is all about individuality and celebrating community through style and we make clothes that lift people up, support them in self expression and are just fun to wear.
We’re a young and quickly growing company and are looking for an industrial sewer to work in our factory constructing athletic apparel. Our team is small and tight and wears a lot of hats – this role will be part of our 4-person product team. We have lots of fun, do very high quality work but also don’t take ourselves too seriously and get very silly. We do not do much cutting in-house, but are working to bring that and flatlock work in-house.
We have our sewing set up in a unique layout – all machines face each other in a rectangle and we call it family-style sewing. This allows for collaboration and communication and makes the process more fun. 3 of our machines convert to standing machines. We’re really big on natural light and have the machines oriented toward a large garage bay which is open whenever weather allows.
- Assemble and sew a wide range of athletic apparel
- Inspect, finish and package apparel as it comes off the line
- Work almost exclusively with knits
- We make new product every month so this person will be working closely with our product developer to train on new styles and sequences
- Train on and learn new equipment as we add it to the line
- Work to maintain production schedule and timing goals
- Keep quality rejections to a minimum and create first quality sellable goods
Our machine fleet includes (all industrial models)
- Overlock/sergers (flatbed & cylinder)
- Coversttich (flatbed and cylinder)
- Straight Stitch (single needle)
- Flatlock (new to our fleet)
- Steamer/Steam Iron
Skills & Qualities
- Sewing Experience – commercial/industrial a plus
- Experience sewing knits or working with sergers
- Knowledge and understanding of basic machine maintenance and operations (threading, tension and stitch length adjustments, cleaning, oiling etc)
- Ability to work independently at a machine for long stretches of time (several of our stations have standing machines, but most are sitting)
- Goal oriented
- Humility – we are always learning and remaining curious at Youer
- Ability to take direction and pivot quickly
- Ability to work a M-F, 9-5 schedule
- Willingness to be a team player – aka we all step in to do the dishes and take out the recycling
- Strong problem solving skills
- Desire to be part of a creative and unique team
- Ability to use systems like WIPs and bin trackng
This position is IN PERSON at our Missoula Montana HQ. If you’re relocating for the position, we can help to connect you with housing.
40 hr/week salaried position with compensation dependent on experience and starting at the equivalent of $18/hr
- PTO (available 90 days after starting)
- 8 paid federal holidays
- 3% retirement match
- Brand credit and discounts